Bend Veterinary Clinic – Dental Services

DENTAL ACRYLIC SEALANTS AND COMPOSITE FOR DEEPER LESIONS.

Dental fractures are often painful. When an animal’s tooth becomes chipped or broken it exposes a sensitive structure called dentin. Dentin is composed of billions of microscopic tubes. Once dentin is exposed, the bacteria in the mouth can be drawn up those tubes resulting in an infection of the tooth root. Statistics show that 3% or less of tooth root abscesses result in facial swelling, leaving 97% plus undetectable with dental x-rays? Your pet can be in pain and you wouldn’t even see outward signs of trouble.

At BVC, we are able to apply an acrylic sealant to your pet’s broken tooth surface to seal the dentin tubules, protecting them from bacteria. Sealing the tubules can prevent an infection that could eventually result in a root canal or surgical extraction.

Dental Cleaning Procedure:

A veterinary dental cleaning is very similar to the cleaning that you may receive from your dentist. However, during the procedure we anesthetize and intubate the patient. Using the same equipment as your dentist we will scale the tarter, polish, and fluoride the teeth. In some cases extractions may be necessary.

Why Perform a Pre-Surgical Blood Screen?

Blood tests help identify problems not detected during a physical examination.

If results are within normal ranges, we can proceed with confidence and minimal risk. If results are not within normal ranges we can alter the anesthetic procedure, or take other precautions to safeguard your pets health and reduce the risk of potential complications.
These tests provide baseline levels for your pet that become part of their medical records for future reference.

Why Pain Medication?

We know dogs and cats feel the pain of surgery, just as people do. The difference is that they instinctively hide their pain. The severity and nature of the surgical pain varies with each pet and the type of surgery, but if left untreated, surgical pain tends to be most severe during the 24 hours after surgery. It then diminishes as the surgical wounds heal over time.

Knowing this, we can make your pet the most comfortable by anticipating and treating the pain, instead of withholding treatment until you see the signs that your pet is in pain.

On the day of surgery your pet is typically given a pain injection which lasts 24 hours followed by oral medication for approximately 4 days.

Post-Surgical Care:

It takes time for the effects of anesthesia to completely wear off. It is normal for your pet to experience slight lethargy the evening of surgery. However, on the night of surgery be sure your pet moves around several times to stimulate circulation, thirst, movement of bowels, and elimination of anesthetics from your pet’s body.

Your pet’s mouth may be tender after the dental procedure. We therefore recommend canned food rather than dry food for the first few days after the procedure.

The evening of the surgery, start slowly with food and water. Offer small amounts of water 20-30 minutes apart. If interested in food, feed only ¼ of your pet’s normal intake at a time. If your pet experiences any vomiting, take both food and water away until the next morning and start slowly. Feed a normal diet the next day.

Medications, such as antibiotics or pain medication may be administered post surgery.

divider line image