Bend Veterinary Clinic - Pet Facts
Protect Your Pets from Easter Holiday Hazards
Easter Lilies -
Lilies are highly toxic to cats. All parts of the Easter
lily plant are poisonous, the petals, the leaves, the
stem and even the pollen. Cats that ingest as few as one
or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while
grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure.
Easter Grass - Easter
grass is the fake grass that often accompanies Easter
baskets. When your cat or dog ingests something
"stringy" like Easter grass, it can become anchored
around the base of the tongue or stomach, rendering it
unable to pass through the intestines. It can result in
a linear foreign body and cause severe damage to the
intestinal tract, often requiring expensive abdominal
Chocolate - During
the week of Easter, calls to Pet Poison Helpline
concerning dogs that have been poisoned by chocolate
increase by nearly 200 percent. While the occasional
chocolate chip in one cookie may not be an issue,
certain types of chocolate are very toxic to dogs. In
general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the
greater the danger. Baker's chocolate and dark chocolate
pose the biggest problem. The chemical toxicity is due
to methylxanthines (a relative of caffeine) and results
in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart
rhythm, seizures, and possibly death. Other sources
include chewable chocolate flavored multi-vitamins,
baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you
suspect that your dog ate chocolate, call your
veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately.
Read more info. on Pet Poisonings on
The Pet Poison
Helpline is a service available 24 hours, seven days a
week for pet owners, veterinarians and veterinary
technicians who require assistance treating a
potentially poisoned pet.
Back to Top
Regular examinations and preventive
medications can help protect your pets from fleas,
ticks, heartworms, and intestinal parasites like
roundworms and hookworms. Don't leave your pet
unprotected from these predators.
Ticks and Fleas
Ticks and fleas are blood-drinking
parasites that can also cause serious illness in pets.
Ticks can transmit infections like Lyme disease, and
fleas can transmit tapeworms and cause allergies. You
can sometimes see ticks or fleas on your pet, but for
the most part, they are very difficult to find. A
veterinary examination can detect ticks or fleas on your
pet, and monthly medication can control them.
Heartworms are transmitted by
mosquitoes, and they can infect dogs and cats. Even
indoor pets aren't completely safe from heartworms,
since 25% of heartworm infected cats live completely
indoors. Heartworms can damage the lungs and heart, and
can even cause death. Fortunately, heartworm preventive
medications can protect your pets from these dangerous
Hookworms, roundworms, and other
intestinal parasites can harm pets. Some of these
parasites are even transmissible to humans, so
preventing parasites in your pets also helps protect
children and other family members. A veterinary
examination and routine fecal testing can identify
intestinal parasites, and many monthly heartworm
preventive medications safely and effectively control
them. Ask us how to protect your pets and family.
Protect your pet. Protect your family.
Let us help.
Talk with us about parasite prevention
and your pet's health before parasites become a serious
Call us today at (541)
382-0741 or go to your
pet portal to request an
appointment.Back to Top
Garden & Flower Bed Plants & Bulbs
Read 'Gardening in Central Oregon with Your Pets'
Garden Toxins Flyer
by VPI Pet Insurance
There are many challenges to gardening
in Central Oregon's high desert and the last thing we
think about is how are pets can be effected by the
TOXIC PLANTS: Tulip Bulbs, Daffodils &
all Narcissus species, Autum or Saffron Crocus,
Azaleas and Rododendrons bark, leaves and foliage, Yew,
Foxglove, Cocao plants and Cocao based garden mulch,
Tomatoes and Potatoes (in any form, peels, tubers,
foliage or stalks) , Rhubarb, Lillies (toxic to cats),
Baby onion sets (garlic, chives and leeks also cause
problems), Water Hemlock, Cow Parsnips, Death Camas.
Exercise caution when using organic
meals, bone meal, blood meal and fish based fertilizers.
Also, use caution when creating your
own composting pile. Keep dogs and cats from eating the
decomposing and often bacteria infested materials.
If your pet gets into any suspected toxins or uncertain plants it is
best to contact animal poison control at (888) 426-4435,
ASPCA.org or call your veterinarian immediately. It
could save their life!
Back to Top
e-CIGARETTE NICOTINE CARTRIDGES
Nicotine cartridges/filters can contain anywhere from 6-36 mg of nicotine--about
the same amount as in a cigarette. The bottles of liquid used to recharge
the cartridges (e-liquid, e-juice) contain up to 36 mg nicotine/mL and come
in 10-30 mL bottles (30 mL was largest I was able to find), so can contain
as much as 1080 mg of nicotine. So the bottles of the e-liquid could easily
be fatal if the contents were ingested. The LD50 of nicotine in dogs is
9 mg/kg (lower in humans) so even a 10 mL bottle of 6 mg/mL (the lowest
nicotine strength) could easily prove fatal if the contents were ingested.
Veterinarian Public Health Issues, US
Did you know some mushrooms are poisonous for your pet?
Cooler and wet fall weather brings many changes to our environment. The leaves are not the only fall colors coming to us. The forest floor is full of surprises along with our back yards. Mushrooms, toadstools and fungus are popping up everywhere.
Mushroom poisoning of companion pets, particularly dogs, is an underestimated problem. While the majority of mushrooms are considered non-toxic, some may result in severe clinical signs (even death). The majority of confirmed fatal mushroom toxicities in pets are mushrooms from the following genera: Amanita (fly agaric or fly amanita), Galerina, and Lepiota
Amanita, Galerina, and Lepiota species mushrooms contain toxic cyclopeptides. Amanita species are the most commonly documented cause of fatal mushroom poisoning in dogs.
If you suspect that your pet has ingested poisonous mushrooms, contact your Vet immediately do not wait for symptoms to set in, it might be to late. You can also call or visit the Pet Poison Helpline online.
View Photos of Toxic Mushrooms
Cases of Marijuana poisoning in pets, and specifically in dogs, increased in states such as Washington and Colorado after recreational use was legalized. Oregon pet owners need to be aware of the potential risks to their dogs and cats if they injest this drug.
Read Marijuana & Pets article from the Oregon Veterinary Medical Association.
Back to Top